We all inevitably age and weather you like it or not, we get wrinkles on our skin. This does not mean that we cannot prevent it to some degree or repair the damage done.
What are wrinkles
Wrinkles are creases, folds or ridges in the skin. Although most people are more concerned with wrinkles on their face, wrinkles also appear on the body. The most affected areas are the areas that are exposed to the sun the most:
- Back of hands
- Top of forearms
The most common cause of wrinkles is because of ageing but can also be because of facial expressions, sun damage, smoking, dehydration, some medications and more factors.
Looking at how ageing effects our skin, we can conclude the following:
- The skin gets thinner
- The skin gets drier
- The skin is less elastic
- The skin has less protection
- Less collagen is produced
- Elastin fibres wear out
- Sebaceous glands produce less sebum
- The skin’s fat cells get smaller
How you can intervene
The following are factors that contribute to the development of wrinkles, look out for these factors and see how you can help your skin:
- SMOKING: Reduces the blood supply to the skin, killing the cells and preventing regeneration and healing. Also breaks down collagen and elastin.
- LIGHT SKIN: Experience a higher level of sun damage due to its sensitivity.
- GENETIC FACTORS: Wrinkles can be hereditary and should be treated as soon as possible if you are more likely to develop them earlier.
- HAIR: If you have a hairstyle that creates more shade on your face, you are less likely to suffer from sun damage. The tighter you tie your hair, the tighter you are pulling your skin and could be damaging the elasticity.
- CLOTHES: Wear clothes that covers the skin more to prevent sun damage.
- JOB: Some jobs expose you to the sun more than others.
- FACIAL EXPRESSIONS: Repeated patterns of smiling, frowning and squinting will create deeper wrinkles. Concentrate on treating these areas with great care.
- MUSCLES IN THE FACE: Can lose their elasticity and strength. Find facial exercises to practise to keep your facial muscles supple and strong.
- SLEEP: Get at least 7 hours of sleep for your skin to rest and regenerate. Sleep on your back so that your face does not make any creases or folds that can become wrinkles.
- HORMONE EFFECTS: Menopause causes a decrease in oestrogen production. Drink Rooibos tea as a hormone replacement.
- DON’T SQUINT: If you are squinting because you cannot see well, rather get a pair of prescription glasses to help you see better.
- EAT FISH: Be sure to get lots of essential fatty acids in your diet (Omega 3)
- CUT CAFFEINE: Rather have a cup of cocoa than a cup of coffee. Cocoa contains a high level of flavonoid antioxidants and coffee dehydrates your skin.
- MOISTURISE: Dehydrated and dry skin is more prone to wrinkles. Moisturising will also minimise the appearance of your wrinkles as it smooths the skin and makes it look more plump.
- LESS RINSING: Use less water on your face as the chemicals in the water strips your skin of the natural barrier oils
There are many more ways that you can intervene and many extreme solutions like medication, surgery and medical procedures but ultimately the best way is just to lead a healthy lifestyle and take care of your skin daily.
Look out for these Anti-ageing ingredients found in skincare products:
- Ampsyncol IIITM,
- Q10 (Vitamin Q or Coenzyme Q10)
- BoNT-L Peptide
- cogon grass
- Vitamin E
- St. John’s Wart
- Rooibos extract
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Retinol (Vitamin A)
- Vitamin C
- Tomato Seed extract (Lycopene)
- Baobab Oil
- Soya bean Oil
- Rosehip Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
Anti-ageing treatments at Annique Day Spa:
If you have never had a skin analysis, it would be very beneficial to do so. At Annique Day Spa our qualified therapists can perform a professional skin analysis for you to identify your skin type, any skin conditions and assist you accordingly.
These are some great facial treatment for ageing: Forever Young Facial, Diamond Peel Facial, Micro-lift facial, Signature rejuvenating Facial.
Use the Annique DermaLift I&II machine along with the Forever Young and Essense ranges as anti-aging treatments.
Start taking care of your skin today, to benefit in the future. All the Annique skincare products are available at Annique Day Spa.
Annique Day Spa
195 Constance Avenue
012 654 0602/7