Know the difference between hunger and cravings. The latter will only be satisfied by eating a specific food, while hunger is satisfied by eating enough of any food.
A sweet tooth is caused by a lack of chromium, calcium, magnesium and vitamin B3 and all of these are depleted by consuming anything sweet. This depletion causes unstable insulin levels, which in turn will result in fluctuating blood sugar levels. Solve this craving within 3 days by following 3 simple steps:
- · NO SUGAR OR STARCH
- · Supplement the necessary vitamins and minerals
- · Supplement 1000mg Omega-3 (in OptiMega and OptiVite).
This will decrease the resistance of cells to insulin. REMEMBER: A PORTION OF PASTA IS EQUAL TO TWO CUPS OF SUGAR!
A craving for starch is associated with depression. Starch mimics tryptophan which transports serotonin to the brain. This is why we always feel better after pasta or a sandwich. However, the result is an insulin imbalance and you are back to square one!! To combat, implement the following:
- · Exclude starch from the diet or limit as far as possible.
- · Replace starch with nuts, especially almonds. They are rich in tryptophan.
- · Take lunch-time walks in sunlight to increase serotonin production.
- · Supplement tryptophan with magnesium and vitamin B6.
- · Supplement omega-3 DHA and EPA (in OptiMega and OptiVite), calcium and magnesium (OptiCalMag) as well as a multivitamin (OptiVite) and a pro-biotic (OptiFlora).
Craving salt is associated with a lack of Essential Fatty Acids, i.e. Omega-3+6. Include:
- · Supplement 3000mg fish oil (in OptiMega and OptiVite). Take 1000mg morning, noon and night for one month. Decrease to morning and night and later to night only.
- · Balance your diet by including flaxseed oil, olive oil, nuts, seeds and avocado as well as sardines in your diet. These will ensure enough omega-6. Remember to also cut down on salt intake.
- · Take your last OptiMega omega-3 capsule at night with your OptiCalMag calcium/magnesium capsule.
An abnormal need for ice is associated with an iron deficiency. Cold drinks and/or ice will prevent the absorption of Iron.
- · Take an iron supplement TOGETHER with OptiVite for one month. A liquid iron supplement is better. Then continue with OptiVite only.
- · Monitor iron deficiency by noting the colour of your urine after eating beetroot. The more intense the red colour, the lower your iron levels. If the deficiency returns or persists go to your doctor and ask for a Full Blood Count AND iron studies.
This is all sorts of peculiar cravings during pregnancy and is usually associated with a lack of minerals e.g. calcium and magnesium, chromium and zinc. A balanced diet, as well as OptiVite, OptiCalMag and OptiMega, is very import.
6. CHEESE AND/OR OTHER DAIRY
This is due to a lack of calcium and magnesium and these are even more depleted by dairy products.
- Supplement 600mg calcium and 400mg magnesium (in OptiCalMag) with omega-3 (in OptiMega and OptiVite) at night.
All of the above mentioned quality supplements are available at Annique Day Spa. Contact us with any queries :
012 654 0602/7