After a long and cold winter filled with many cuddles and comfort food, spring is in sight! We all look forward to the changing of the season and start shopping for nice summer clothes, dig into the garden, start spending time outside playing games and exercising and so forth. The point is that there is a sense of excitement and eagerness in the air! To make the transition from winter to spring easier, here are a few tips to get you started.
The first place to start is the most important. You have been hiding under layers of warm-woollies for a couple of months and it was too cold to extensively indulge in treating your skin properly. Now you will be showing a lot more skin in the warmer months, so make sure your arms, legs, elbows, knees, hands, and feet are ready.
- Exfoliate- Get a good body sponge, like the Annique Body Wonder Sponge or good body scrub. You can make a stellar scrub at home with olive oil, brown sugar and a bit of Miracle tissue oil. Tear open a Rooibos tea bag and add the leaves for extra antioxidant benefits. Exfoliate your whole body in small circular movements from your feet upwards for maximum circulation benefits. Concentrate on stubborn areas like elbows, knees and feet. Do this 3 times a week. Remember to exfoliate your face as well, try one of the 4 the Annique facial scrubs. Annique Day Spa offers Full Body Exfoliations and Body Wraps if you seek some thorough professional assistance to get you started or just to pamper yourself properly.
- Moisturise- Slap on and massage in as much body lotion and oils all over your body as much you can and get your skin looking fresh and supple. Try any moisturisers of the 5 ranges for facial skin that Annique has to offer. Also use quality body moisturisers from The Spa range or the Spalicious range. Get a full body massage, the nurturing oils can penetrate deep into your skin, while you relax and revive. Layer cream thick on your feet and put on a pair of socks for extra penetration. Vaseline or petroleum jelly works wonders for cracked heels. You could mix some with a bit of Resque crème for extra healing and repair.
- Tint- Apply a tinted moisturiser to your face and a tinted body lotion to your body. Always exfoliate before applying tinted body lotion (self-tan) to avoid orange streaks. Lie for a couple of sunbed sessions if you must, just remember to start off slowly and never lie longer than the salon recommends, as they know best what strength lights they are using. Annique Day Spa offers sunbed services from 8:00-18:00 during the week and 8:00-15:00 on Saturdays. Always book at least 5 sessions in advance, so you get your spot when you want to. Now is also a good time to invest in a good sunscreen- both for your face and body.
- Supplement- Start taking supplements specifically for your skin, a good multivitamin will already work wonders. Take extra vitamin C, as this is the foundation to skin repair and maintenance- especially for collagen to keep you skin youthful and especially if you are a smoker.
Your lovely locks doubled as a nice scarf this winter and deserves some TLC after all the blow drying and flat ironing.
- Trim- Get a good trim from your hair stylist to remove all the dead ends or create a new look for the new season. You might want to spruce up with some fresh colour as well, a couple of highlights could change your look to a more summery one.
- Nourish- You need to give your hair some nourishing treatment. Try Annique Resque Hair Nutrtion and Annique Rooibos Miracle tissue oil- apply once or twice a week in the shower, wash hair or leave in over night.
- Air dry- Skip the blow drying and give your hair a break. Now that its warmer you can leave your hair to dry naturally and embrace your natural waves or curls! You will be surprised how many compliments you get and it will save you a lot of time.
As you will be showing some more skin and trying to squeeze back into some of last season’s wardrobe, shed a couple of unwanted kilos and body fat.
- Exercise- do anything you can: jogging, walking, gym, squats, sit ups, push ups, jump rope, yoga, pilates, stretching…just do something to get your body moving for 30 minutes each day or 4 times a week. It is a fact that lean muscle burns fat, so tighten up and you will naturally always be more slim.
- Eat- Change what you are eating. Eat whole fresh foods, lots of protein and good fats and cut the carbs, the Annique Lifestyle program can guide you step by step. Skip the sugary beverages and beers, opt for lots and lots of water (or soda water) with slices of lemon or enjoy a good whiskey neat or with ice and water. Remember, simpler is always better. You don’t have to over cook (or cook) your veggies, salads don’t have to be boring and you don’t need so much salt and sauces- opt for natural Himalayan salt or lemon juice and olive oil with herbs.
- Lifestyle- To assist to in slimming down quicker, use slimming supplements and meal replacement shakes. Try the Annique Forver Slim supplement range that helps with burning fat, curbing your appetite, boosting your metabolism and detoxing. Also try the Annique Rooibos Lifestyle Shake, with added health benefits and it also gives you great energy for the day. Annique Rooibos herbal teas are also great for detoxing.
- Image- See an image consultant to find out which colours and shapes of clothing suit you best. It is a great investment and can boost your self esteem and confidence forever. Also change your make-up to match new seasonal trends and brighten up your features,
- Thinking- Get rid of negative thinking patterns. No matter how hard it may seem, tell yourself that life is good and the obstacle you are facing is temporary. Much time and energy is wasted through worry, anger, fear, guilt etc. Spring-clean your mind.
- Environment- Spring-Clean your house, office, car and any other areas you spend time is. Cleanliness without clutter will benefit your health and mood, not to mention make life easier.
- Garden- Pull out the weeds, plant some pretty flowers and vegetables and you can literally reap the benefits.
- Throw away- Anything that you aren’t using anymore: clothes, furniture, crappy little things, books, linen, curtains….Someone else could use it, donate to charity, organise a garage sale or swopping day or sell it online.
Enjoy the warmer days to come with a spring in your step!
Annique Beauty Salon & Day Spa
012 654 0602/7
195 Constance Avenue